Cooperative Invasive Species Management Areas
Cooperative Invasive Species Management Areas (CISMAs), are groups of non-profit and government agencies, businesses and volunteers that have come together to tackle the issue of invasive species in their regions.
The North Country CISMA was formed in 2015 with the initial focus on inventorying the invasive species in their 5-county area, Mason, Lake, Missuakee, Osceola, and Wexford, and educating the public on the likely next invaders of the area. In 2016 Mecosta County was added to the NCCISMA, bringing the county coverage to 6.
By partnering with the North Country CISMA, the Hamlin Lake Preservation Society is committed to help remove hurdles that may discourage private property owners on treating invasive species on their own property.
Update on the Terrestrial Invasive Program: NACISMA Team no longer has government funding for the program. This program is important for the health of our watershed and has proven to be very successful. For this reason, HLPS Board has voted unanimously to support...
NCCISMA / Cost Assistance Program
If you have any of the “invasive beauties” pictured below you should consider this program!! We have pictured and listed the invasive species that qualify for the Cost Assistance Program along with just a few of the reasons it would be wise to act now to eliminate them.
This program has a cost share portion and due to the importance of the program HLPS has agreed to support enrolled HLPS members by investing up to a total of $5,000 this year. The program is designed to:
- Support landowners who are unable to perform invasive species treatment on their own
- Is best suited for small infestations that are cost prohibitive for contractors to treat
- NCCISMA staff will visit your property to assess the infestation and provide you a quote (see below) for treatment
- Treatments are performed at cost.
The way the program works:
- Fill out the HLPS COST SHARE APPLICATION AND INVASIVE TREATMENT PLAN (making certain to check the box “I am a member of HAMLIN LAKE PRESERVATION SOCIETY”)
- A NCCISMA representative will / once membership is confirmed/ contact you/ visit the site and give you a written estimate.
If you decide to proceed with treatment, costs will be covered as follows:
- NCCISMA due to a Government grant will be able to cover 50% of the treatment cost
- HLPS will cover 25% of the treatment cost
- The landowner will cover 25% of the treatment cost
Again, the HLPS portion will be capped at a total of $5,000 initially and will be dispersed on a first come basis.
Any questions regarding the program should be directed to :
Zach at 248-210-6047 or Zach.Peklo@macd.org
Also visit the following website:
Hamlin Lake Preservation Society
PO Box 178
Ludington, MI 49431